The developmental milestones can be categorized into three categories – cognitive, physical, and social and emotional. Each category has its set of individual accomplishments.
The milestones pertain to the baby’s analytical thinking, judiciousness, and general mental prowess.
1. Copies gestures and sounds : It takes a certain amount of cognitive ability to copy a gesture or repeat a sound, and at nine months, a baby is able to do so (1). When a parent looks at him and asks him to make a gesture or a sound, he understands it is directed towards him.
2. Makes basic syllable sounds : He not only copies sounds but also repeats those and other words. While he does say “mama” and “dada”, he may not say it to the right parent.
3. Understands “no” : The baby realizes that “no” is a negative instruction, and obeys. He discerns the purpose of the word and may avoid doing something that elicits a “no” from parents.
4. Points at an object or person of interest : The nine-month-old knows that pointing at an object or individual means displaying interest towards it. For example, he may point at a toy or his favorite food item, when he wants it. Babies can wave their hands in response to “bye”.
5. Loves peek-a-boo or hidden object game : The baby loves finding objects and people, thanks to his sharpened memory. He knows the exact spot where an object is hidden. Babies at nine months have the intellectual development to realize that a hidden object does not disappear but exists in its hiding place. This cognisance is known as object constancy.
This encompasses milestones relating to physical growth and gross and fine motor skills.
1. Baby crawls : It is the most significant physical development milestone in a baby. By the ninth month, an infant gets into a crawling position easily and crawls effortlessly. It is time to baby-proof the house.
2. Sits without support : The infant crawls around and gets into the sitting position. He can sit for a longer time and will love playing while sitting, thanks to the stronger lower back muscles.
3. Stands holding a support : The leg muscles are stronger than before and can partially support the body weight. The baby can stand up with support and continue standing by using the support.
4. Develops pincer grasp : The index finger and thumb can now touch each other to develop a pincer grasp, which the baby uses to pick small objects (2). This grip is used to pick finger foods and put them in his mouth. Therefore, it is time for you to must keep away small objects to prevent a choking hazard.
5. Develops the parachute reflex : It is the body’s reflex to put the hands forward when the head faces down. This is the body’s way of preventing a head injury in case of a fall.
6. Uses arms and hands : The baby learns to hit toys against each other and clap hands. Babies, at nine months, can not only pass objects from one hand to another but also throw them at short distances.
7. Eyes track moving objects : The ocular muscles that control the eye movement are stronger, allowing the baby to track moving objects. He does not lose sight of a moving toy car or a falling piece of cloth, and he may as well point at something you accidentally dropped! Due to the improved depth perception, he can judge the distances between objects better than before.
8. Sleeps an hour extra at night : Babies sleep for 14 hours a day. He might sleep for fewer hours in the day, but that he will is compensate by sleeping longer in the night.
Addition to cognitive and physical abilities, a baby needs to develop his social bonding, behavioral, and emotional skills too.
1. Clingy towards primary caretakers : The little prefers being close to parents and cries when taken away from them He enjoys cuddling, smiles a lot, and tries to please you as well (4).
2. Nervous around strangers : When in the company of a new face, the baby will panic and cry. This is called separation anxiety (5). The baby will crawl towards a parent even if the stranger is friendly and playful.
3. Shows favoritism among toys : You may notice that he plays with a particular toy more in spite of a new toy around. This is because around nine months, the preferences for specific items peak.
4. Loves spending time with familiar faces : The baby is at his merry best when in the company of parents and other primary caretakers like grandparents. He now understands that his caregivers make a single unit, which we know as family. It is with them that he will always find food and security. For this reason, family time is now fun since the baby is joyful and always ready to play the next game.
While those were the developmental milestones, do remember that each baby is unique and may develop at a different pace. There are possible signs though, which indicate poor development.
there are any shortcomings in the baby’s growth, then it will hinder his current and subsequent development.
1. Does not sit or crawl : Crawling and sitting are key indicators of healthy development. If the baby is unable to sit or crawl, with or without support, then it points towards a problem and needs prompt medical intervention.
2. Cannot stand with support : A baby bears partial weight on his legs and puts the rest on the support. If he fails to stand up in spite of the support, then it is quite likely a sign of developmental delay.
3. Does not make any sounds : If the baby is abnormally quiet and doesn’t make any sound at all, then it could indicate delay in his development.
4. Fails to recognize familiar faces : At nine months, a baby can recognize familiar faces and acknowledge them with a smile. For example, when a parent returns home from work, the baby will chortle excitingly. Also, his face will light up when grandparents make a visit since he recollects he had fun with them the last time. A blank expression means he has failed to remember faces. This indicates a missed developmental milestone.
5. Unable to hold anything : If the baby does not develop pincer grasp, cannot hold food and eat by himself, and has critically weak grip, then it is quite likely that he has a developmental problem.
A baby undergoing severe developmental delay will also show stiff or droopy limbs, restricted muscle movement, and lack of coordination between the neck and head when the baby is lifted. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends parents to get their babies screened for developmental delays.
Here are some simple and useful ways to make your nine-month-old grow in a full swing:
1. Let the baby play : Play time is the best way to exercise muscles and help them develop at a normal pace. Make sure your little one plays a lot and be a part of it. Give him instructions like “pass the ball to mom” or “throw it there” and point at a spot. Playing together stimulates the baby’s cognitive and physical skills and helps him grow better. Also, encourage playing while sitting as it strengthens the baby’s back muscles.
2. Read books and explore the outdoors : A nine-month-old will love brightly-coloured picture books. Have reading sessions together and read the entire book. This activity helps stimulate the baby’s vision. Stroll in the park as this helps the baby see many hues of color in nature.
3. Have basic yet meaningful conversations : Point at objects and share their names with the baby (“That’s a sofa”). Show him gestures and say their meanings (“Say Bye-Bye”). Your baby may not repeat the exact phrase, but can remember the sound of the phrase and try babbling.
4. Let the baby feed himself : Place various types of finger foods in front of the little one, and let him pick each piece to feed himself. This activity helps the baby practice the pincer grasp, which is a precursor to other types of grip positions that develop in the future. Do watch him, though, to prevent choking hazards.
5. Have family time : Spend a day with the entire family. Refer to every person by their relationship with the infant (“That’s aunty”). Acquaint the little one with all the faces, which will help him remember them better.
Developmental milestones are not hindered if the baby is happy and healthy. However, never hesitate to take your baby to a doctor if you feel that something is amiss. An early detection of a developmental delay can help mitigate its effects.
Have some tips to share on developmental milestones for 9- month- old ? Tell us in the comments section below.
Always have extra counts
You can buy disposable changing pads at supermarkets or reusable ones at baby stores.
you'll use them to lay your baby on, or even for covering while sleeping or nursing as per usage
Carry a variety of sizes for storing soiled diapers, clothes, and blankets.
Two outfits per day and nightwear
So you can keep the room lighting soothingly low during middle-of-the-night diaper changes
In this sanskar, body purification is achieved with the help of specific mantras and sacrificial fires and through the mantras it is taught how to scientifically and hygienically perform correct intercourse. Necessary guidance is imparted on various sexual matters like reproduction of good offspring, appropriate use and control of sexual desire, not to indulge in sex during the menstrual cycles, various postures at the time of sex and highest happiness etc.
In the 8th chapter of Bhagvat, there is a mention of ‘Payovrat’. Its essence is that from the point of view of giving birth to a child, the couple that is very particular about a restrained life, sattvik meals and excellent thoughts devoid of sensual enjoyment, gives birth to a brilliant progeny. Deity Aditi had observed this vow and so she could give birth to the Incarnation of God, that was Vaman. A woman is the mother of a Nation. The sanskar of Garbhadhan is meant for her to be more aware about all this.
To overcome any defects in the ovum and the foetus and to purify the womb – Two percent of all physical and psychological problems are because of defects in the ovum and womb, half of them being physical and the other half psychological in nature.
The sanskar of Garbhadhan should be performed after marriage for a virtuous progeny. This sanskar is performed from the fifth to the sixteenth day after the first menses after marriage. Excluding the first four, eleventh and thirteenth nights, the other ten nights are considered appropriate to perform this sanskar.
If you wish to have a male child, perform it on an even day (that is, eighth, tenth, twelfth, fourteenth or sixteenth) and if you wish to have a female child, do so on an odd day (that is, seventh, ninth or fifteenth day). Never perform this sanskar on chaturthi, shashthi, ashtami, chaturdashi, amavasya and pournima of the Hindu lunar calendar.
Sankalpa (Resolve) : The male should make the following sankalpa – ‘I am performing the sanskar of Garbhadhan to be blessed with excellent progeny with God’s grace, by destroying defects in my sperms and her ovum and those in her womb as well.’